Monday, April 21, 2008

Musical Monday - Zydeco



This is probably the most familiar Zydeco song recognized both by devoted fans of the genre and those who've never even knew they were listening to Zydeco. This song busting at the seems with uplifting, vibrant and fanciful music. Its a symbiotic combination of accordion, fiddle, drums and bass. Often Zydeco lyrics are witty and sung in French These are no exception. Or if they are sung in English, they are pickled with Cajun slang and, like much of the music of the south, they are usually strife with woe and resolute inspiration. The lyrics of Beau Soleil's Zedeco Gris Gris


The Big Easy is the film that introduced me to Zydeco and I've been hooked ever since. This crime thriller has a steamy violent story about the corruption and culture of New Orleans set in the late 80's. The plot moves at breakneck speed, while the lead actors (Dennis Quaid & Ellen Barkin) heat up the Big Easy while they work to catch those responsible for a spree of assassinations plaguing the Parrish. Will they be the next hit, or worse yet, end up food for the Bayou gators?

My favorite Zydeco tune is by

Want more Music fro your Monday? Then please visit Susie's Blog.

Please turn me on to your favorite Zydeco tune.

2 comments:

S said...

Pounces on Miss Pizza and gives her a huge hug! Welcome back to the blogosphere, dear one, I have missed you!

I love Beau Soleil! Ive seen them a couple of times, and I also remember The Big Easy sparking my zydeco flames!

My favorite zydeco tune, I do not know the name of, but Beau Soleil covers it...and it is in The Big Easy....

Jolie Blonde...something...

dana said...

Lisa,
Thanks for your comment on my belize blog. I am home in Canada now after a year working with Judy at Equity House amoung other things. She really is an angel and one of my favorite people, literally in the world! My husband is still living and working in Hopkins so I will be back there every 6 weeks or so. Definitely a worthwhile cause!